Thursday, June 6, 2013

The City

Success is bittersweet! I would have to say that today is the first time since coming to Boston that I actually felt comfortable. Leading up to today I think I was suffering from culture-shock. According to Dictionary.com it is,
"The feeling of disorientation experienced by someone who is suddenly subjected to an unfamiliar culture, way of life, or set of attitudes."
Yep I would say that is what I had. Now some of you might be thinking, but David, you are in an American city where people for the most part speak English and it can't be that bad. That's absolutely true. Unlike some of the my other Magellan scholars, such as my friend Allyse who is in Greece (check out her blog here!), my Magellan is in the US but like her this is a completely new experience for me. I come from a rural area where there are cow pastures and fields of corn for miles. My town doesn't have a streetlight or sidewalks. We do not have public transportation such as subways or buses, unless you travel to the City of Pittsburgh, which when I do usually I just drive, park, and walk.

I think a reason why I finally felt that way was because I finally managed to get on the subway and go into the city. I departed around noon for Kenmore station, the home of the elusive CharlieCard. After yesterday's disappointment I went up to the T-assistant and asked hesitantly, "Any CharlieCards today?" "Of course honey! I have some right here." She was a sweetheart and I was very thankful. I must have looked a little confused when she gave it to me because she then directed me to the vending machines where you load the cards with passes or tickets. There I successfully bought a month pass so I could travel the subway and buses without have to keep buying tickets.

After that I preceded to the station and waited patiently for the train. I thought it was going to be difficult to figure out which one I needed but it actually wasn't. I successfully boarded the packed train that was going to Government Center. The train was a little creepy. I had to stand because there weren't any seats open which was fine but it was really small space for so many people. I was pushed up against a couple, I think, who were discussing their relationship? I felt as if I was in their conversation. At one point there were discussing his past relationships, the longest lasting 4 months, which apparently was pathetic to her because she laughed. Next I heard something about sperm, and it just got weirder and weirder. As soon as we neared the Center the train became less crowded and I was able to move away from them and to a seat.

I walked around the city for awhile, here's a few pictures:


After I walked around for a little I had some lunch at the market, which had a variety of shops and places to eat, as well as, live entertainment:



On my walk back to the station I stopped by the Scooperbowl, which is the "largest all-you-can-eat ice cream festival, serving up ice cream, frozen yogurt, and sorbet from the nation's leading ice cream companies."According to their website, 100% of the profits go to the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. The ice-cream was delicious and I had a great time. Some pictures from there:




After I decided to walk some more and I ended up in a old cemetery and chapel:

John Winthrop's Grave







And here are some general pictures of the T and the elusive CharlieCard:


Government Center Station

Inside the station


Lesson of the day: If at first you don't succeed (in finding that CharlieCard) keep trying because eventually everything will work out.