Thursday, June 20, 2013

I live in the library

How I imagine I look when I am researching.....
...Ok so I'm just kidding but for the past few days it definitely feels like it. I have been focusing a lot on my research, hence the lack of "tourist-like" activities. Granted in the past few weeks I have done a really good job of balancing the two, but since my time in Boston is waning I really needed to make the best of this library and its large amount of resources.

My research is really coming together now. I have been focusing mainly on primary documents, which includes the actual texts that Wheatley and Occom wrote. Next I will move onto secondary sources, which are books and monographs written by scholars about Wheatley and Occom's works.

It's interesting to see how through researching your thoughts on your research change. For instance, I thought, prior to really researching Wheatley and Occom that they assimilated into the "white" culture, but through my research I know believe the complete opposite. Both clearly identified with their race/ethnicity, so African and Indian, but were forced to, a times, take on "white" characteristics because of Euro-American colonization but both still saw themselves as an African and Indian.

I must share with you some thoughts I've had about the library. As a disclaimer before I proceed, by no means do I share these stories without feeling. Homelessness is a serious epidemic in this country and a very sad situation. I really hope that we can live in a society where this does not happen. But with that being said, onto the story.

One thing I have learned is that if you want to see a broad spectrum of people that live in the city, go to the library. While there I see scholars, students, middle-aged people, young people, children, homeless people, rich people...it's extremely diverse. The library has been more diverse and exposed me to more people than just walking around the city or even riding the subway (which I think is surprising).

With that being said, researching in the library has been difficult. Not from an academic standpoint, but more of a social standpoint. You see, I'm from rural Pennsylvania. I go to a "bubble" college. Essentially we, the college community, live in a bubble. Walk two blocks off campus and you're in a whole new world. I wouldn't call myself naive, or ignorant because I am aware of what is going on in the world, but I'd accept the term "inexperienced." My first exposure to people in rough economic times was probably when I went to the city for the first time with my grandmother when I was young. Sure I have passed them while walking but I've never sat at the same table with them.

The other day I was in the library looking for a table to sit at when I passed a few people that I would say were having some economic challenges. They are very nice, and never cause any problems but I must admit sometimes I get a little uncomfortable. One man had brought his cardboard sign with him that read, "Water and change please." There was another man that was just sleeping at a table. I like to work by himself anyways so I went to an empty table and sat down and started to do my work.

After a few minutes out of nowhere something caught my attention. Usually when I am in the library I have my headphones in so I don't hear people approach. I looked up and this guy sits down right in front of me. Now these tables are probably 8 to 10 feet long, with four chairs on both sides. The table was empty...and he sat down in front of me. It wasn't that big of a deal, but I'll be honest it made me feel a little uncomfortable. He was carrying what looked like several bags of things and a backpack. I briefly made eye contact and went back to reading. I couldn't help but keep checking on what he was doing. It was just weird...there was a whole table...why sit directly in front of me?!

How I imagine I looked when said story was occurring....(minus the uni-brow)
So after rebuking myself for being so judgmental I went back to reading. I told myself that I was being dramatic and that it wasn't that big of a deal, I was there to research. And then...I got a whiff of this smell, which caused me to look up. There on the table was a brown paper bag and a can of sardines... I have no idea what was going on... Was he making a lunch? Was he actually going to eat them? Would he offer one to me? Would he freak out and throw them?

With this running through my mind, he started to mumble and write things down. I couldn't really tell what he was writing, it looked like a bunch of numbers. And then that's when I had to relocate. I tried to sit it out as long as I could...but I just couldn't. The smell of sardines, and the bags, then the mumbling and numbers...I just couldn't. Needless to say I know read and write in Bates Hall (pictured below).

Every time I am in the library I seem to find new things to take pictures of, so without further ado, the pictures...

These are photos of the Map Room Café in the library:

The sandwiches and soups are amazing- and cheap!!


A few pictures of the court-yard:

*The reason why I was out in the court-yard was not to take pictures but because on this day the café was very crowded and I saw this older woman come in and she bought a lunch but she couldn't find anywhere to sit. I saw her go outside but it was rainy and cold, so she must have came back in, and then she walked around the café and then back out. I have been so moved lately by the chivalry that I have seen especially on the subway by younger people allowing older people to take their seat, that I felt compelled to do the same...so I chased her down and said that I was just leaving but wanted her to have my table. She was such a sweet heart and was so thankful. Now...who said that chivalry is dead?!



Here is a wall mural in the library staircase, it is of the nine muses (interestingly enough, Phillis Wheatley often referred to them in her poetry...is this a sign?!!?):



These are photos from the upper-levels of the library. The first few are of wall murals and decor, then there is one of a gallery, and the last few are of some of the other rooms. The ones right under this, actually the first four, are unbelievable! The pictures do not do them justice. 









And last but not least, it is Phillis Wheatley! Yes indeed, Wheatley is honored in a picture of Boston women in the entrance of the newer section of the library:


She is second from the left
Lesson of the day: Even if you have been somewhere a hundred times look for something new, you might just be surprised!