Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Getting Lost

Today I set out to find the world-famous New England lobster roll. I attempted to do a TON of research before just trying any old roll since they are a little on the pricey side. I scoured the internet looking for something, anything, to point me in the right direction. And as they say, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one... and indeed they do. I couldn't find a conscious, where is the best lobster roll? I wanted to stay away from the tourist traps because I figure they these would be high cost and low quality. The only problem is that the places that aren't traps are obscure and hole-in-the-wall places.  I began my search with the mindset, let it come to you. You find a place with a good deal just commit... buy the damn roll and enjoy it.

After yesterday's research driven agenda, I spent much of my day yesterday in the Boston Library just reading over works by Occom, I couldn't wait to go out into Government Center. I really enjoy this part of Boston (not as much as around Beacon Hill and Harvard Station). There's just always something to do around the Market, and the city is very lively. 

Taking the T has become almost an everyday ritual now. Before every time I walked into a station I panicked... where was the train, where do I go... but now it's like second nature. On the T today I saw a variety of literature. I didn't notice before how many people read on the subway... an older gentlemen was reading what looked like an anime book, and some young guy who sat in front of me was reading the Communist Manifesto...




Once I arrived in the city I first wanted to find the Old South Meeting House. This was one of the places that Phillis Wheatley attended. Unfortunately today it was closed, so perhaps later in the week I'll be able to actually go inside. But from my view from the outside I wondered, or tried to wonder, how she felt standing in front of the large church, now dwarfed by large buildings and skyscrapers. I briefly closed my eyes and tried to drown out the hustle and bustle of taxis, cars, and people shuffling along the streets. I tried to envision a much simpler but just as chaotic scene of colonial Boston. I tried to understand or envision her emotions, being an educated slave writing poetry and having audiences with the inner-circles of Boston's religious intellectuals. The hardship of perhaps being scoffed at for lying or forging your work, as Wheatley was by some critics, which included Thomas Jefferson. While I know that I cannot and will never be able to fully understand how she felt or what she saw, I do know that her determination and perseverance set her apart from many and has resulted in her resilient legacy.      




After walking around the Government Center area I wanted to go towards the shore. The last time I saw the shore line was when I flew in, so I decided that I should walk along the piers and just embrace the New England water. It was actually a great day for walking by the water because further into the city it was warm and muggy, but out by the water it was breezy and cool. Here are some pictures I took from around the docks, etc:





After walking around I became pretty hungry so I decided to try to hunt down the lobster roll. I walked and walked and walked...comparing prices, looking for quality, something, anything to indicate where a good roll was. I googled for places, I checked maps, but like I said before everyone has their own opinion. Finally however I found a deal, for a modest, but not cheap price, you could get a lobster roll and a cup of New England clam chowder... Why not kill two birds with one stone?

So that's what I did, finally I would get to try a lobster roll. Now as a disclaimer, this place was unfortunately a tourist-trap. The roll was cheap and the quality was ok. Was it good? Of course. Was the chowder good? Obviously! But can I say it is the best roll in town? Well no, and it probably isn't, but for someone on a budget and with limited resources it worked just fine. I got my food to go and walked over to my favorite park in Boston.

The park is Christopher Columbus Waterfront Park and it is settled right by the water with a great view. I took a seat and just enjoyed the roll and chowder in all its glory. It was a great lunch. Here I was sitting with a view of the water, eating a lobster roll, and chowder. It was the perfect New England setting. Here are some pictures of the roll and park:







After eating lunch I walked around the city and explored some of the streets I hadn't been down yet. Not sure if this was a good idea or not because after I passed the Garden, where the Bruins play, I ended up in some interesting parts of the city. They were not your touristy locations like Government Center or well kept. This is the point in my day when I get lost...really lost.





This is how my journey began... but after this street none of the others looked like this... 
I pulled up the map on my phone and attempted to navigate my way back to Government Center. For some reason though I took the wrong left or right and ended up in the wrong direction. I passed by some very interesting groups of people and definitely saw a side of Boston that I hadn't, though I wouldn't visit again. Let me say that this wasn't a terrible part of the city, it was safe and I wasn't in danger, but I don't think it was the best place to be lost in.

Before I knew it I ended up on the outskirts of China Town... a place I wanted to visit a some point... just not today. How I ended up there I have no idea. I managed to find the subway and I took the next train to Government Center. Silver-lining of the situation is that I know how to get to China Town now!



My subway ride home that evening was the cherry on the sundae. Unfortunately I hit rush hour and the train was packed. I ended up perched on the stairs leading up to the chair with my back against the doors, that I prayed would not open while I train was moving. It was horrible. It was hot, there were tons of people on it and of course... no one knew how to make space. I ended up in this position for probably 15 minutes as the train bumped its way to Fenway where I practically jumped out of the train.

After getting lost and having to ride the train from hell I was pretty exhausted and beaten up. There is a frozen yogurt place down the street that I have always wanted to try but I was waiting for the right time to go...today was that time. After I got back to my room and dropped off my backpack I headed to BerryLine. It was a great way to end a very, very exhausting day.


Lesson of the day: During rush hour walking back to your destination might be a better option than taking the train- do it for your sanity.  

Shout-out: to my wonderful grandmother who sent me a package containing some great home-baked cookies and food! Thank you!