Saturday, June 22, 2013

Happy Birthday on the Cape

Today is my birthday! It's weird spending it here in Boston away from Pittsburgh. I guess when I was planning my Magellan I never really thought about what I was going to do on my birthday...ok so maybe I did a little...but I never expected spending it on Cape Cod!

My original plan for my birthday was to celebrate it with some friends who were going to come to Boston for a few days...unfortunately that didn't occur so I figured I was going to spend my birthday in the Boston Public Library with a stack of books and a raincloud above my head...get the metaphor? Thankfully that didn't happen and instead out of the blue a friend from W&J who is from the New England area asked if I wanted to get out of the city and see the Cape (yes, I am going to refer to Cape Cod as "The Cape" since apparently that's what Bostonians and Caponians (don't think this is a word, but oh well) do.   

This was my face when I found out I would be going to the Cape!


First and foremost, don't judge me for my excitement! Think about it for a minute...how many times a year do you hear references to the Cape...ok so I don't know the number but to someone from western Pennsylvania, Cape Cod is almost folklore. It's something you hear about, but never really get to see. Have you ever been to Cape Cod? If you answered yes, well good for you, but I am assuming most people are thinking to themselves..."Well...no..." so there...now you understand my extreme excitement. 

So after being invited to the Cape I needed to figure out a way to get there. First I thought about maybe taking a ferry from Boston, but there isn't service to Hyannis (the place I was going to). So next I thought well maybe I can take the red line (subway) down as far as I can go, but of course construction halted service this weekend. My friend suggested the CapeFlyer, which ended up working perfectly.

The CapeFlyer is a passenger rail service that goes between Boston and Hyannis, Cape Cod. Here's a look at its route:

Awesome, I have a direct route there and I don't have to worry about changing trains or having to take a bus, the trip seemed perfect......key word is seemed....until I looked at the schedule. The Flyer was departing from Boston South Station at 8AM...which means I would need to be at the station by at least 7:30AM...and because I could only buy my ticket at the station I should be there by at least 7AM so that I can get a ticket incase there is a line, or they sell out. 

So at 6:00AM this morning my alarm buzzed and I woke up...really easily. It's weird that sometimes you can wake up and be instantly ready for the day, and other times I feel like I have to coach myself out of bed. Perhaps it was my birthday, or maybe just the excitement of getting out of the city that made me wake up so easily.

An empty subway car early in the morning- why can't it be like this all day?!
Boston South Station
Getting to the South Station was an adventure itself. I knew the area that it was in, but I wasn't really sure where it was. Good thing I left early because as usual I got lost...again. I guess I haven't figured out how to use Google Maps yet. But needless to say after wandering in the wrong direction for about 5 minutes, my supposed 10 minute walk from Government Center to the South Station turned into a 20 minute walk. No big deal, I arrived at the station just in time to buy my ticket and get ready for the train.

The station was really crowded and for whatever reason they waited until about 5 minutes before departure to announce what track the train would be on. Once the board flashed with the track number people went crazy. All of a sudden people from all over the station started running to the train. Immediately I am thinking, I need to rush too. I've never been on a train before so I had no idea why these people were basically running. Was it because they wanted the good seats? Would there be a long line? Was there a security check-point? You honestly would have thought a race was occurring.



I walked down the track to the train and there's nothing. No lines, no security, just open doors to the train. I walked in and looked around. Why in the hell were people running? This train was certainly nothing to write home about. It looked like a slightly, and I use the word "slightly" very loosely, upgraded version of the subway. Perhaps I was in the wrong car I thought...maybe these are the cheap ticket seats and there are better ones somewhere else. So I asked this lady in the seat in front of me, "Excuse me, do I have to sit somewhere specific, or show someone my ticket?" She just stared blankly at me, like I asked her why do we need oxygen to live, and responds, "Umm honey...ya I don't think there are assigned seats..."

A view from my seat
Well...ok thanks. Nonetheless I moved away from her and took a single seat in the back of the car. The train had wifi, so I figured I would do a little work on the 3 hour ride. Of course it was my birthday but work is work. So I took out my laptop and connected...to...the...wifi....which.....was.....so....slow....I ended...up....just....turning....off....my.....laptop.

I guess that was a Happy Birthday to myself? No work! Yay... But it actually worked out really well because it gave me plenty of time to look at the scenery. I was on the lower level of the car, it was like a double decker, so I didn't get to see a whole lot but I did see a bunch of fields, which at first I wasn't sure what they were. And then it suddenly it dawned on me that they were cranberry bogs... Who would of thought that cranberries grew in Massachusetts?! Not me. And of course all the houses had that "New England" look to them. They were small and one story with the wood squares on the outside (see my pictures below for a better explanation).

Here are some pictures from the train:



Checking tickets
The 3 hour ride actually didn't seem to take that long because before I knew it the train was arriving in Hyannis.


The train
As part of my tour we went to this place in Sandwich (yes the town's name is Sandwich...hmm) where water comes from an underground spring and it is supposed to be magical? Fountain of youth in Massachusetts!? Apparently people filled up large containers of the water, and sure enough when we got there, this woman have a big class jar and was filling it up with water.

Of course I had to try it so we got out and filled up some water bottles. No joke, this water was really good and cold! Maybe it contained some magical writing powers? Probably not, but a kid can wish. Here's a few pictures of the fountain:



The town and surrounding area was really nice. It was small and had that little town feel to it...and it was QUIET! Finally some peace! I love the city, it's incredible, but it is never quiet. Even when you are in buildings it is loud. But on the Cape, it was quiet and cool. There was even a breeze!

For lunch we went to a little market/sandwich shop. I got the "Big Plymouth" since after riding through all those cranberry bogs, all I could think about was Thanksgiving. It was delicious! It contained turkey,  stuffing, cranberries, and I think some mayo? Whatever it was I was in heaven, and I definitely know what I am going to do with Thanksgiving leftovers!


After picking up the sandwiches we went back to their house for awhile and ate lunch. Then we went to the beach- which I was really looking forward to. Since being in Boston I haven't had the opportunity to see the water, with the exception of the harbor and Charles River...but that wasn't really the shoreline...it was more off a dock or from far away. Well this time I was actually going to a beach!

This beach was definitely different from the ones I was used to (Outerbanks, etc). It was a lot more rocky, and the waves were calm...but let me tell you...it was relaxing. An hour sitting on the beach with your feet in the sand/stones...catching a nice breeze off the water....who knew I was only 3 hours away from the chaotic city of Boston?! I loved it! Which is surprising since I'm not really the beach kind of person.








The train ride back seemed to take much longer than my trip to the Cape. Maybe it was because I was returning to the city, or because it started to get dark so I ran out of things to look at out the window. Whatever it was, the feeling returning home was bittersweet. What a great way to spend a birthday...on the Cape with a great group of people.



With that being said, a huge shout-out to my friend and her family for their wonder hospitality and for making me feel so welcomed. Having the opportunity to explore another part of New England, especially Cape Cod was something I have always wanted to do and I am very thankful that they allowed me the opportunity to do so.

Lesson of the day: When an opportunity presents itself- take it! You might not get the chance again!