Monday, July 8, 2013

Where am I again?

Hello! Hello! You are probably thinking, probably not but let's pretend, where has he been? Yes unfortunately I haven't been avidly blogging like the past but that is because I think I am still trying to get used to my surroundings. So this blog post is going to be a mash up of things from that last few days.

Life in New Hampshire and Vermont has been really interesting. It is much different from the city, which isn't really a surprise since these towns are much smaller. So I guess now would be a good time to address what I am doing in NH/VT since I think some people are a little confused with where I am.

First a geography lesson, here is New Hampshire and Vermont:


I am staying right in the middle of the map, in the Hanover/Lebanon area. I conduct my research at Dartmouth College, which is located in Hanover, NH, however I stay in housing in White River Junction, Vermont. So technically my project is taking place in two states- BOGO! (buy one get one free)

An average day for me is as follows...Monday thru Friday I get up at 6am and catch a bus at around 7am. I have about a 30-40 minute bus ride to Hanover, NH where Dartmouth is located. While I am on the campus I do research in the library, read scholarly articles online, write portions of my paper, and blog (since I have wifi). At around 5pm I have to catch the bus back since it only runs from morning to early evening. Once I get back I make something to eat and go to sleep so I can start all over. 

Here are some pictures of the town:

Train station- Amtrak etc

Formerly the town Post Office
WRJ (White River Junction) is an old railroad town. The tracks run right through the town and are still active, very active in fact. I hear probably 4-5 trains come through daily. As are many RR towns in recent years (not that recent but you get my drift) it is pretty rundown. It reminds me a lot of my own hometown back home. From the pictures and just the layout it appears it used to be the happening place back in the day, but no longer is that the case. All the basic necessities for life have moved elsewhere, meaning there isn't a grocery store in the town, or anything like that. The only thing that is left are a few cafes, pizza shop, hair cut places, a frame and yarn shop (ya I don't understand how they have any business), and some offices. In order for me to do almost anything I have to take the bus, so I rely very heavily on the public transportation system or I have to walk 10-15 minutes to somewhere close to the town.   

Hanover on the other hand, the college town home to Dartmouth is a small functioning country (not really, but it has everything). It's not a surprise but like any college town there are students that have needs so of course there is going to be economic stimulation so there are plenty of stores and places to eat. The town is really nicely kept, great sidewalks, clean streets, new places, and traffic lights. The college campus is beautiful. It actually reminds me a lot of Harvard, and even W&J. It has that old colonial look with plush lawns and brick buildings with large columns. Here's some pictures of the campus:





Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity
So what are some notable things that have happened to me in the last few days...well let's see.

One is certainly the unexpected fire drill that the hotel preformed on the Fourth of July. I was sitting in my room doing some work and I heard this loud buzzing. I cracked open the door and realized that it was an alarm. I assumed it was the fire alarm...but I mean what do you do? Yes obviously get out of the building but does one use the fire exits? Is it a drill? Should I act like it is real? These are the questions that anyone, anyone would have in an office building, a hotel, even a store...is this real? So I walked down the main stairs to the lobby where there were people just hanging out...sitting in chairs talking...so then I was confused. Is this a fire drill? I smelt burnt food, but I didn't really think anything of it. The lady at the desk informed us that the dispatcher would prefer we relocate to across the street....and I am thinking "What the hell does that mean?".....is there a fire? Yes? No? I don't know? Then some firetrucks came and firemen got out...So I am thinking, ok there is a fire...great...just my luck...and then ten minutes later the fireman comes over and interrogates us about who was cooking in the kitchen...of course no one answers...hell I hadn't even been in the kitchen yet. So after that we just went back in.

Apparently, just for clarification, there was not a fire but someone burnt food in the oven causing the alarms to go off.


My first experience on the free public transport bus was terrifying. Honestly though I felt much more comfortable on the subway in Boston than the small bus. I have no idea why, I think it might be because the subway stopped a lot, people didn't talk, and I could always get off anywhere and walk...where as in my new situation I can't. The bus travels over long distances and I can't just get off anywhere. 

As I said my first trip was terrifying. How do I use the bus...do I pull the string...what times does it come....I mean all these questions were bouncing around my head.     

Inside of the small bus...
I actually tweeted from the bus on my first trip. Here's a peek for those tweeterless people.


I felt that way for multiple reasons. I won't go into all of them, but I think you'll start to understand why I felt this way as I explain a few other of the incidents that happened. But on this first ride I was just very overwhelmed. I didn't know exactly what I was doing or where I was going. Everyone on the bus seemed to know each other and they talked the entire ride. It was like a barber shop or a gossip place...all these people did was complain about other people, talk about things happening in the town like flooding, or other stuff. It was like being stuck right back into high school. Then this older woman sat next to me. She was a sweetheart but I don't know if she was all there and I felt obligated to talk to her. She was really hard to understand and kept telling me that she hadn't been to this town for four months because she broke her hip, I think. So that situation freaked me out...but it wouldn't be the only one.

I took the bus to Hanover and just walked around the town. On the ride home though the bus slowed down at a stop and there were these two people waiting- a man and woman. The driver slowed down, threw open the doors, yelled out "[Name] you are too drunk, you're not getting on the bus" then slammed them closed and sped away. Here I am sitting there freaked out...because I am thinking what the hell just happened. Then the people behind me are talking about it, and I start to think of the worst case scenarios. What if they are pissed because that was their friend and they attack the driver? If it happens, where are my exits? Can I jump out of a moving bus? Do I call 911? Would they let me go? I mean typical Dave freak out moment. Nothing of course happened.

On my most recent ride I overheard some of the passengers talking about what I think were hard drugs. It was hard not to hear, and honestly I didn't want to listen but I couldn't help it...they were talking loud and I just overheard. From now on I put my headphones in and turn my music up really loud...pray a little...and just hope I make it to the next stop. Ok, so I don't do that...and the bus rides are not that bad...I do not feel like I am in any danger but that is honestly what has happened.

Sometimes, yes I feel very uncomfortable but I think that just comes with new places. Rest assured reader, if you are concerned don't be, all is well. I am sure things like this were occurring when I was in Boston, but I just didn't know.

My research has been going really well, and I actually contacted a few professors here about their research and field of study and I got some really cool replies. One professor is working on a project that involves Samson Occom and she said she would meet with me, and another professor who unfortunately is not on campus said she would correspond with me over email and answer any questions I had. It's really nice to see faculty members who want to talk to undergraduates and hear what you are working on. It's motivational because here is someone in the field, a scholar, who is taking time out of their day to hear you talk, or ramble on, about your project...it makes you feel important, good, like you are actually doing something right. I tip my hat to these professors, thank you!

Here is the library I have been held up in doing research:





No idea what this is...it looks like Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer 
Lesson of the day: Reach out to people, you might be surprised at what happens.